At the end of the year I always reflect before I start planning my goals for the following here. Here’s a sample of the questions I’ve asked myself over the years. I don’t always go through all of them, but I have found that selecting a few can be really insightful into what my priorities might be for the coming year.
Here are the end-of-year reflection prompts I look at every year:
- How did the year go overall?
- What were my accomplishments and causes to celebrate this year?
- What could have been improved?
- Was there a theme for this year that you can see in retrospect?
- What was the highlight of the year?
- What was a lowlight of the year?
- What did you want to happen this year but didn't?
- What was the most positive unexpected thing to happen this year?
- What would you do differently if you could do this year over?
- What were the biggest lessons from this year?
- If you had to describe the past year in a few words, what would they be?
Now that you’ve reflected, what next? For me, I move to goal setting. Here’s more about my process for setting goals — it has consistently worked for me for many years now.
Happy reflecting! ✨